Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lost and Found-The Frangipane Recipe

I have a very haphazard way of keeping recipes.  Some of my favorites are written on backs of receipts, on the side columns of address books, random pieces of paper.... I never seem to learn my lesson either. There is a chocolate orange cake recipe that I can still taste and must be in my possession but I just don't know where.  Its been years and like trying to relive an old love affair by having a new one, the recipes I try, hoping its THE one, just make me sad.
I've gone on like this with my frangipane tart recipe-trying various ones on the net, in books, etc.  Good, but not quite the toothsome, soft center and tan chewy top from my long lost favorite. Then, going through a very old cookbook, out it fluttered-
stained, torn, with directions to a place in LA written above it that must have been important to me 15 years ago.  I put it in a very safe and obvious place and then promptly forgot where exactly that was. But I have found it yet again and this time, I will ensure that by sharing it with you, I will forever have access to it.  I will just ask you.


                      The Best Frangipane Tart
Preheat oven to 375

1 pie crust, partially baked

3/4 stck softened sweet butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup almonds, ground in your cuisineart
1 tablespoon Amaretto
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon flour

fresh fruit, apricot preserves, additional Amaretto

In your Cuisinart, blend the butter and sugar till smooth and creamy.  Add the egg and process to incorporate. Add the rest of the ingredients and let it go for about a minute.  Pour into the partially baked pie shell and bake 20-25 minutes, or until the top turns a light even tan.

When cool, top with berries or even better, fresh slices peaches and paint with some apricot preserves, heated in a pot with some Amaretto to thin it. Be sure to coat every bit of fruit since the topping is not only delicious but serves to protect.  This will be what you think of in December when you remember July!

4 comments:

  1. It's times like this I wish I wasn't allergic to nuts! Oh well. Reading about it will have to do.
    My dad was like this with recipes- we've found little pieces of paper stuck in his cookbooks with some of his favorite recipes. We've even found some from his father- who was a chef. A great way to remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate orange cake... mmmm...actually i'm sat with a couple of slices of the same in front of me. If i ever hear that you have found that recipe, be warned, i'm definitely moving over there. J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i moved in with my lovely ladyfriend, i found a whole bag of cuttings & clippings of recipes my mother gave me years when. Some dated back to the 60s - i'm guessing my grandmother gave them to her. Of no value whatsoever apart from sentiment & good taste

    It was odd reading (from Sydney.au, c.2010) seeing a recipe encouraging someone c.1965 to experiment with garlic, though

    With regards
    Robert

    ReplyDelete