1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray a 9 inch springform pan
- Combine the three ingredients and press into the bottom and about 1 inch up the sides of the pan
2 pounds softened cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 eggs,put in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes to come to room temperature
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Beat cream cheese till very light and fluffy
- Add sugar and beat till smooth
- Beat the eggs in, one at a time
- Add vanilla and lemon juice
- Pour filling into chilled crust and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The center should be just slightly wobbly when you gently shake the pan. As it cools, it'll fall in the middle- don't worry-that's where we'll put the caramel.
- Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours at least.
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup butter,cut into pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare a small bowl with water and ice and have a pastry brush ready. This will keep your sugar mixture from crystallizing.
- Heat sugar with 1/3 cup water stirring just till sugar dissolves. Raise heat to high and boil-no more stirring. Take your pastry brush, dip it in the ice water, and carefully paint the inside of your pan to wash down any stray sugar crystals. Do this maybe three times during the boiling process. You don't need[or want] your brush to be soaking wet- just enough to do the job. As the sugar becomes a deep caramel, swirl the pan. Don't get nervous and stop this process too soon- the flavor is so much deeper if you can be daring and wait until just before it has gone too far. Take off heat.
- Heat cream in a microwave safe measuring cup till the chill is out of it, put the caramel back on low heat and carefully add the cream. It will bubble up furiously, so be careful. Stir until the mixture smooths out and mix in the butter. Cool, then add the vanilla.
When you are ready, run a knife along the edge of the pan and release the cake. You can decorate the edges of the cake with rosettes of whipped cream. Sprinkle with croquante if you're being crazy.